Monday, August 18, 2008

Sadness. . .

A very sad thing occurred today in my family's life. My grandfather, Sebastiano, aged 85 years, passed away after a short stay in the hospital. He had been unwell for about a year but managed to keep his spirits up. Unfortunately, his heart got the better of him. He lived in Ischia and as is the custom in Italy, will be buried tomorrow. My mother (his daughter), father, and brother all went to visit him a few weeks ago when things looked as though they were not getting any better and will be unable to travel to Italy at this time. I am unable to go as well and feel a little guilty and sad about being the only grandchild who did not get to see him before he passed. (I was in Ischia last year). I think, however, that I prefer to remember him in life.

Sebastiano is survived by his wife, 7 children, 17 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren. He lived a good life and was one of the kindest, saintliest men I know. At least I can say there truly is an angel lookingover us in heaven now.

Please say a prayer for us.

No comments: